Friday, May 28, 2010

Peace Corps




When I moved to Knoxville to begin interning at the Knoxville News Sentinel in March 2009, I began looking into the Peace Corps. After talking to my recruiter, Andy, filling out my application, and completing a two hour interview, that flew by like a blink of an eye, I was nominated for the Peace Corps on May 28, 2009. From there it was lots of paperwork. Background checks, dentist paperwork, medical paperwork, more medical paperwork, stopping by the medical office a third time, and maybe a forth time.
And then as all of you know it was waiting. More waiting. And two months of waiting after that.
Well I am more than excited to announce that on May 17, 2010 I was invited to serve the Peace Corps!! On May 25, 2010 I accepted my invitation to be a Community Health Adviser in Malawi (that is Africa, not Hawaii, mind you.)
I am staying in Knoxville for one more week, and then going to spend time with my family for a few weeks. I begin my staging event; shots, safety, etc. in the states around July 1, 2010. And on independence day, I fly to Malawi where I will begin 3 months of hardcore training. Surviving three months of language courses, upset stomachs, cultural classes, site training, etc. I will then be sworn in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer. It is then that I will begin my two years of service.
As all of you who know me, my camera never leaves my side. (Well except of course instances, shown above where my friend Glen took a photo of me opening my Peace Corps invitation packet.) I really hope to either start a Peace Corps photo blog, or continue blogging on here. With the potential lack of electricity, I am stocking up on batteries, and looking into solar powered chargers. I will make this happen!!
I will update how things progress soon. I can't tell you how excited I am, and how thankful I am for all my friends and family supporting me!

No comments: