Friday, January 11, 2008

The Epiphany

We are called storytellers. We are granted this amazing access into people's lives. We live their life for hours, days, weeks and months at a time. It is our job to tell their story.
Something about "storyteller" doesn't stick right with me. Dictionary.com defines story as:
1. a narrative, either true or fictitious, in prose or verse, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader; tale.
2. a fictitious tale, shorter and less elaborate than a novel.
Etc.

With writers tweaking details in stories, with photographers toning their pictures to suit their imagination rather than the truth, the word "story" scares me a little. What is fact and what is fiction?
I have thought about this for a while. I don't want to be a storyteller. Everyone has a story to their life. EVERYONE. Some show it more than others. Some peoples' stories climaxed in their past, some right now, some have yet to see that time. Everyone has something they have experienced, they have a lesson to teach, and lessons they still have yet to learn. I don't want to think of myself as a storyteller. I want to take other people's lives, just as they are and show it to those who may not have the same understanding or concept of what it is like to lead a different life. Storytelling isn't for me. I want to be a translator.

No comments: